The 5th Wave | Book Review

This review contains no spoilers and no reference to events or character information that may ruin your reading pleasure.

The 5th Wave
Rick Yancey

Book 1 - The 5th Wave Trilogy

The Passage meets Ender's Game in an epic new series from award-winning author Rick Yancey.

After the 1st wave, only darkness remains. After the 2nd, only the lucky escape. And after the 3rd, only the unlucky survive. After the 4th wave, only one rule applies: trust no one.

Now, it's the dawn of the 5th wave, and on a lonely stretch of highway, Cassie runs from Them. The beings who only look human, who roam the countryside killing anyone they see. Who have scattered Earth's last survivors. To stay alone is to stay alive, Cassie believes, until she meets Evan Walker. Beguiling and mysterious, Evan Walker may be Cassie's only hope for rescuing her brother - or even saving herself. But Cassie must choose: between trust and despair, between defiance and surrender, between life and death. TO give up or to get up.


Recommended for those who enjoy:
end of the world concepts, fighting for your life situations, alien takeovers, blossoming love, fighting chaos, living in a 'lawless' world,

Cold Tea and Crumbs rating:  ★★★


My thoughts:
This book has been wildly adored across YouTube, Twitter, Goodreads, Tumblr and blogs so it was only right that I too picked it up to see what all the fuss was. Although it was a good read, I was slightly disappointed and didn't quite understand everyone's adoration of this story.

The story starts with narration from Cassie, a 17 year old 'hard-as-nails' teenager who is constantly questioning whether she's the final survivor of the alien attack. I thoroughly enjoyed this first portion as it was quick, witty and gritty, just how I like my sci-fi ^_^. The snappiness of this initial start was fantastic and although we were jumping in and out of the present and past whilst discovering Cassie's experiences since 'The Arrival' I loved that I was reading it just how someone would probably recall it all.

The story then continues to twist and turn with different characters narrating different portions of the story, I also liked this development within the story however, certain chapters were slow from other characters perspectives which faulted the story and made it feel a little clunky. I also didn't really enjoy the 'romance' scenes in this book and although it was monumental to the story, and the probable development throughout the series, it was all a bit 'blah'. I didn't really warm to the Evan Walker and in my opinion, once he was introduced, Cassie just lost all her 'grit' and 'chaos' which was what I loved about her.

Overall this story was good, it kept me quickly turning pages and certain twists during the story made my jaw drop to the ground. The ending was well rounded but with a 'half-final' ending I've not been left pacing the floor in anticipation for the next book. However as I'm curious to know what will happen next, I will pick up the second book.


Over to you:
Have you read The 5th Wave, what did you think of it? Enjoyed reading it or disliked it?
Who is your favourite character and what was your favourite scene?

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read this post and leave a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...